Thursday, February 26, 2009

In a League of My Own

Tonight, we had a coaches clinic for all the tball and rookie coaches in our youth baseball league.

I'm sure, you can guess by the title and picture what I'm about to tell you...

I'm the only, yes only, mother (woman, whatever) coaching!!

I was surrounded by men tonight... usually, that is something any woman might dream about... but not me.

Or at least not tonight ;)

I was overwhelmed. I was looking forward to see what other mother had the guts to join "the boys club" and coach their son or daughter - or in my case, both.

Well, I was left alone. All by my lonesome to be there with men upon men. Buddies who grew up in this town and know each other for forever... guys who looked at the lone woman like an enigma.

I sent an email to my mom tonight while there (gotta love my blackberry) saying how I was the only mom coaching...

I should have known that emailing her wouldn't get sympathy... but rather "YOU GO GIRL! You can do it... Be a "----" (my maiden name)"... Instantly, I felt somewhat better.

I even stuck up for my team when it came time to pick the field date and time! I basically said that being "odd woman out" that I should get one of the first picks... I am woman, hear me ROAR!! LOL

I'm looking forward to coaching... I know its not going to be the easiest thing to do. Partially because I'm doing it alone. I have no assistant coach and Derek has no desire to coach... so its just me. I'm going to rely on parent help... which, being a first time coach, I'm going to welcome. But I know I'm not going to let some egotistical man overstep the boundaries and take over the team!!

Again, I am woman, hear me ROAR!!

So yea... I'm in a league of my own (my favorite movie of all time, so its kinda fitting)... but I'm SO looking forward to it!!


2 comments:

Bridgett said...

I think it's awesome! And just think of the example you're settin for Ro. Here mommy is taking on the man's club! WooHoo!

BTW, League of Their Own is one of my all-time favorites too. :)

XOXO

Tiffany said...

Well like your mom said, "You go girl!" Show those men how to coach a team. :)