Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Nothing like a mid-night phone call...

I was woken up this morning at 2am by a phone call from the dispatcher at Derek's work...

She was calling to tell me that Derek had been in a pretty bad car accident on his way home.

She said he was fine... and up and walking around... but that they'd be taking him to the hospital.

 

I immediately called my parents... and asked them to come and watch the kids while I went to the hospital.

Dad called down to the PD- he is a reserve officer there... and will be coming over to full time next week... he got the low down from the dispatcher...

After hearing from my dad again, my parents being the most wonderful people in the world, came right away.

 

My mom went with me to the hospital... she drove... probably knowing that I'd be driving like a bat out of hell ;)

 

Got to the hospital to be greeted by firemen from the city and other police officers...

God, I love the brotherhood that they have down there...

 

Anyways, Derek is fine.

Really, no, extremely sore...

He is in a soft-collar next brace.

Off of work for a few days... maybe more depending on what the workmen's comp doctor says...

 

Okay... So, this is what happened.

Derek was working OT last night... doing DUI enforcement down in the town that is holding the County Fair...

Well, on his way home... some DRUNK PAROLE decided to smack into him...

Took out the whole car... its totaled.

The rear passenger door is pushed into the car and up behind the driver side.

The rear windows were blown out... and a tire was totally ripped off.

 

According to the Fire Guys and from seeing the picture, Derek is SO COMPLETELY lucky.... lucky to be alive and to not have any more injuries...

 

::sigh::

 

Now we have to look into the whole new car thing... call the insurance... figure out what we can or can't afford...

Can you say Stress???

 

Today will be filled with all kinds of fun, I'm sure ;)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just breathe, sweety. It's going to be ok.

I am so glad it turned out the way it did. And that Parole? I am hoping he got bumped back in for quite a LONG time.

Hugs and love,

~Heather

Anonymous said...

OMG, so glad he's okay...sorry for the stress....

Danielle

Anonymous said...

I am glad that he is okay.  Are  you?  It will hit you in a couple of days and you might get upset then.  Really.  Nothing like that kind of phone call, I know.  (hug)

Get ready for more calls.  The other officers will probably call, and some other people you don't know will too.  

It's so disconcerting to be greeted by that many officers at the hospital, then so comforting that they are around, huh?  Take care, let me know if you need anything.  Really!  I've had that call a couple of times, and it's never gotten easier.
Hope Derek feels better soon.
Anna

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad he's okay!  The irony my gosh!

I'm sure you'll nurse him back to health!

Anonymous said...

Oh.
My.
God!

Twinnie...holy shit!

That must've been a scare!  
Thank GOD he's okay!  

I wouldn't even give a shit about the car...I'd just be thankful my husband came out of it alive.  

Man.  I'm just stunned.  

Keep us updated, K?

LOVE YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad he's ok and I know how much fun dealing with insurance companies is! Good luck!


Denielle

Anonymous said...

Glad he's ok!  It won't be fun dealing the all the B.S. that goes along w/ car accidents, but just be thankful he's alright!  

~Tiffany

Anonymous said...

what a terrible thing to happen.  But I am glad to hear he is ok..

Anonymous said...

im so glad to hear that he is ok
i know the stress with the new car situation...might be from the other side of the wall unfortunatly but you know what im taking about huh.
hope derek is able to take it easy for a bit
and feels better
em

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is scary stuff, but I'm SO happy he is ok, and walked away from it!! Don't stress too much, it will all work out! Hold him a little tighter tonight!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Whew, never a dull moment! The good news is your husband isn't badly hurt, nothing a little time and some Advil won't help. And let's keep it that way! The other good news is, you're insured!
I hope he feels better soon. Get some rest yourself, ok?

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm so glad he's okay! We were hit a few years ago by a drunk driver. Our car was totaled also. So I know how scary that is first hand. I hope he doesn't have any soft tissue damage that will show up in a few days. When I had our car accident, I was sore the next day. But then the second day after the wreck is when the soreness and pain REALLY set in!! I think I didn't feel the pain as bad because of all the adraline I had flowing! LOL. But anyway, it ended up that I tore the muscle in my neck! I think to this day most of my headaches stem from that!! Tell Derek to take it easy and I hope he feels better soon!!

Those middle of the night phone calls are sooo scary!! I bet you were out of your mind scared!

Hope the car hunt goes well! Just think you will atleast get a new car out of it. LOL. Try to look at it in a positive way.

***Monica

Anonymous said...

wow..I'm so glad that Derek made it out alive. There really is nothing like a 2am call, one of your worst fears as a wife and mother. Take care of your hubby and send him our wishes!

Anonymous said...

((Jenn)) So glad that Derek is ok!!!  Im sure that is the phone call that you don't want to receive!!!!  You and your family are in my prayers!

Hugs,

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Always late, I am...

Sorry to hear about your car but I am sooo thnakful your hubby is ok. That must have just scared the hell out of you.

Love ya babe....

Anonymous said...

Oh man... sorry to read that!

I'm hoping he's feeling a bit better by now... but I'm sure him being home and off work was enough to take a mental toll~he's so used to working ;)

Hope you didn't suffer having '3' kids at home.. lol

C~