Saturday, June 10, 2006

~House Hunting Makes You Tired~

Let me tell you.

Looking at homes is a tiring job.

And trying to figure out what you want and if you could make that house "yours" is even more tiring.

 

We looked at a total of 7 houses yesterday.  Not including some model homes that were totally beautiful- but totally out of our price range!!!

4 houses were in the town that my parents live in- which happens to be about 15 minutes away from where we live now.

We looked at the house that is 3100sqft (its about a 1/2 mile from my parents house).  Let me tell you, it is beautiful.  The only thing it was missing was a game room or a loft.  Yet, we would never use the "formal dining" room, so I told Derek we could put the game room in there.

See he wants a pool table, TV, bar tables and chairs... stuff like that.

The backyard in that house is not landscaped, which isn't a problem, because we could get to that eventually.  It is even big enough for a pool.

 

After we saw that house, we went to a house that happens to be directly across the street from my parents.  The house is 2300sqft and the whole second floor is a loft.  Let me tell you, this house is great.  It has a giant kitchen with island and its open to the family room.  The kitchen counters are black granite and the bedrooms that would be for the kids are a pretty good size too!

Derek isn't too sure about this house for a few reasons, although we both agree its a great price!!  He doesn't like the neighborhood in my parents section because of all the two story houses and the streets aren't that wide.  Also, he says the backyard is too small for a pool and he isn't too cool on all the houses that can see into the backyard from their second story.

That is understandable... but I told him we could do things to the backyard to block their views.  We could put up arbors, trees and do other things.

After seeing that house, we went and saw a custom home in another part of the town.

Oh my, it was beautiful.  Even with the spill that I did on their porch- I didn't see a step and tripped, with Zach in my arms... but being the good mommy I am, I protected him and fell, hurting only myself :(

Even though the house was nice, it was a bit small.  Only 1900sqft and had no back yard at all.  There wasn't a 3 car garage or loft/game room either.  Infact, they didn't even have a den.  They had their computer set up in the laundry room?  Oh well.  It was beautiful and if it were just Derek, me and maybe Ro when she was a baby, it would have been perfect.

There was another house, but I won't even tell you about it.  Its not on our list.

 

From there, we went to another town that is 15 mins in the other direction from our house.

We looked at a total of 3 houses there.  The first two were knocked off the list very quickly.

And the third house we looked at just happened to be the spur of the moment.

This house is very nice. 2800sqft.  New lawn and patio in the backyard.  5 bedrooms... 3 baths.  Kitchen is a nice size and so is the family room.  Master bedroom is a good size too... along with the kids bedrooms.  There wasn't a den... but they had this extra bedroom that they were using as a play room for the kids, so Derek thought he could use that as a game room. 

I told him it would be big enough, but because it was directly next to the other rooms, he wouldn't be able to use it all the time when he wants- like when he and his buddies come over after they get off of work late at night or early in the morning.

The house is also a little bit more than we would want to spend... but its up there on the list, because Derek likes it so much.

 

So, needless to say, I have no idea in what direction we will be going.  I think Derek said he'd like to see both the house directly across from my parents and the house that is 2800sqft again.  So I am sure we will.

 

Just wanted to give you an update.

Oh yes, I also got my hair done yesterday... a littlesomething different.  So if I get a chance, I'll share a picture later on :)

 

Now, I must go clean my house and get ready for a graduation party that we have later this afternoon!!

Toodles Noodles
~Jenn~
 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are coming along! Good Luck!

~Jenn~

http://journals.aol.com/icewitch96/JennsWorld

Anonymous said...

Best of luck in finding a home you
both love....i can imagine it would wear ya out
looking at them all...and making decisions.
Can't wait to see a pic if your hair....i need to
get mine cut bad.
Hugss.~Terri~

Anonymous said...

how exciting looking for houses. I think the last house sounds nice. LOL. I'm thinking of that show everybody loves raymond if you live to close to his parents.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you poor child, having to look at houses as "small" as 1900 sq. ft.  That's a sin woman!!!  You should just look at anything over 3000 sq. ft and don't settle for anything less.  You know, with 2 children, you need at least 1000 sq. ft per child and of course you need 1000 for yourselves.  Good luck with the house hunting!!  
Hugs and love,
Lisa who is really kidding about the sq. ft.  We live in a 1500 sq. ft. house with 3 kids, 2 dogs, 6 cats, 2 gerbils and a 50 gal fish tank and we all are fine.  ;)

Anonymous said...

I remember those house hunting days with my exbf.  Wow.  I don't envy you there.

But the first few houses were the ones we ended up serious about.  Sounds like that may be the case with you guys, too...

Any issues on the personal side with living across the street from your parents?  If not, it would be convenient ;)  The place sounds perfect... especially the kitchen!

Have you checked out online listings, too?  I put a lot of hours into that... after a while, you just get tired of looking at them all...

Anyway, good luck on the decision making.  Are you putting your house up after you find one you like?

Cat

Anonymous said...

I am sure that you will find the perfect place soon. I can't wait to see your hair!

hugs,
Kathi

Anonymous said...

Oh, good luck!  Finding a new home is VERY stressful....and such an intimate decision to make...

Anonymous said...

Ugh!  I don't envy you.  I don't like house hunting at all.  Atleast you're finding some that you like though.  

Luv~Heather