Monday, April 4, 2005

~Ahhhh... Insurance Companies~

Just needing to rant for a minute... I've been jumping hoops all morning to try to get Zachary into the neurologist for a follow up appoinment...

He has to see the neurologist because he does have a minor clot in his vein that is draining from his brain... But don't worry, it won't hinder him...

But I called his doctors office this morning and they set up the appointment just fine until they found out what insurance we (he) has... According to them, they don't accept the group he is under... Argh.

So, they told me to keep the appointment and hopefully my insurance company will pay me back for the visit.  The visit mind you is anywhere from $80-130...

Well, I called my insurance company, Health Net, to see if they'd rememburse me for the visit.  They said no, and that I'd have to contact the group Zach is under to get it approved.

So, I called Central Valley Medical Group and was told that I had to have the referal from his Primary Care Physician... Mind you, his doctor is part of the reason why he ended up in the hosptial for twelve days, but that story is for another time...

Another phone call was made to his doctors office to ask for a referal to see this neurologist in Sacramento... I also asked if there is a peds neuro anywhere near here (I so doubt it), but the lady said she'd check into it...

So, now I wait for a phone call back... It is 230pm and they phone call was made around 10am this morning... I'm guessing I'll hear back from them sometime tomorrow or the next day... Argh.

I did also fill out the information for our insurance company to be billed for Zachary's helicopter ride... I guess I shouldn't complain too much, because I'm pretty sure they'll be covering everything...

**insert foot into mouth now??**

Hope everyone is having a great Monday.  Derek has a new video game, Doom 3, so I'm pretty much on my own with the kiddos today.  Except, we are making a family outting for Rowan's gym class tonight... That will be nice.

Until later...

Hugs,
Jennifer

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww Pickle,

Baby, keep calling them and bugging them. afterall "who's" more important here? -you can even tell the chick that. I have found, the more you bug them the faster you get results; sad but true. *wink*

Kiss the babes for me, tell Derek to enjoy his game, and have a Fliptastic time tonight!!!!

Ps, sorry i spelt <..is that a word, lol? Zach's name with a K last time, OOPS! hehe.

{(((((((HUG)))))))}

Aunt Barbie @~>~~~

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that you are home and things are going well.  I have been saying prayers for you and your family.  Linda

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you might get a letter saying they used the wrong KIND of helicopter and they wont cover it..LOL..Sheesh...And most likely you'll have to do what i do when they say they'll call you back...CALL THEM.....I have had to do that the past 3 times..Oh, how annoying is that?..Not like they don't get paid enough to treat us nice and appropriateyl...LOL

have a good night out!! Hope hubby doesn't permanently damage his eyes from that big screen and those games..HAHA (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

they are sooo frustrating! We have been jumping through hoops for 3 years now and you'd think by now I would know what I am doing....not! If he qualifies for CCS that might help you where your insurance doesn't cover.
My experience is they tend to not follow up so call them back 1st thing in am if they don't call you today. The squeaky wheel....well, you know. It's a pity we have to work so hard just for the health care we are entitled to through our insurance. I can't imagine what it is like for others.
Good luck!
Laura

Anonymous said...

Trust me , you cant always rely on them to help you with finding docs near you and all that... go to www.healthnet.com and do a doctor search.. perhaps you may find one at least closer than where you have to go now and WITHIN your network... trust me if he sees the neuro once.. and they keep wanting to see him those office visits will add up and may even be more than what they told you.. I had one doctor claim entended time on my visit without my knowledge and I had to pay $280.. just because he wrote that! Be careful.. and hope you can get a good doc soon! Hope Zachary will be ok..
:) Mel

http://journals.aol.com/domesticatedchic/SomethingLikeLifePartDeux/

Anonymous said...

Sorry you have to go through all this!  What a bunch of stuff!

Insurance companies are such a scam--they pretty much have us all over a barrel when it comes to claims.  We need doctors for when we're sick... but we need an insurance companies approval first--go figure....

No wonder I long to live in the days when a chicken or a home cooked meal paid the doc's bill :)

Hope you get it settled soon... and I would be doing some net searches for docs in your area on your plan--forget waiting for them to do, it might be next month before you hear what they've decided.

Good luck :)
Cat

Anonymous said...

It is never easy when you are sick or your child when it comes to insurance companies!  It happens to us all though.  They never allow you to just go to the hospital and have everything covered without having you put up a fight and endless calls and letters it seems.  In the end though, as long as Zachary is doing fine, that is ALL that matters!!!!  So, so glad that you are all home safe and sound now Jennifer!  :)
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

As if dealing with the medical situation wasn't quite enough for you, now it's the insurance company's turn to add to the torture. I hope it all goes the right way. It would be nice to hear a COMPLETELY happy ending to this story for you all.

Good luck,
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

aagghh insurance companies cant live without them cant kill them
I'm glad zach is doing better you have been in my prayers
Donna In TEXAS

Anonymous said...

Ugghh..isn't it frustrating?  I've been fighting insurances since Parker was diagnosed with autism.  I just can't believe how greedy they all are.  

Good luck at the neuro appointment!

Love,
B

Anonymous said...

Oh hunny...you poor thing! I feel your pain...I live in lancaster, ca and there are no pediactric endocronoligist here (sp?) so we have to drive down to UCLA, we also have health net and our plan recently changed so all of our prescriptions we have to get for our little guy is very $$$$$ and it's not like we have a choice...that insulin keeps my baby alive! Once you guys figure this all out and get settled in, things will be ok! I don't know how we have managed but it's been a yr since he was diagnosed with diabetes and we just take it day by day! hope your week gets better!
~Kristin (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Insurance kills me.....we pay out of our checks for it, and then when we need it, you never can get it taken care of totally or they don't take the type of insurance at the Dr...blah, blah, blah...lol..it gets really old!
hugs,
Kathi

Anonymous said...

Gotta love dealing with insurance companies...UGH!!  They're all the same!  I hope your outing went well last night :)

Luv~Heather

Anonymous said...

Jennifer~

Ive worked for an insurance company, and generally in the medical field for the past 5 years, I'll lend you the best advice I can give you for this situation.  PPO girlfriend! LOL.  I will NEVER have an HMO, PPO's are a bit more expensive, but it gives you the right to go WHERE you want, WHEN you want. I'll well worth the extra $$ it costs in premiums.

I hope that Zachary continues to get better, your family will remain in my prayers!

~Jenn~

Anonymous said...

Wow, very frustrating indeed!  
You have enough going on with your concerns for Zach's well-being without having to deal with the rest of it.  I hope it resolves itself for you soon.

Ana  ((0.~))

Anonymous said...

Don't ya just hate insurance problems?  
Hugs,
Lisa