Sunday, April 3, 2005

~Stopping In~

Hi All... I know I've been promising an update so, I'm going to try to get this in while I can...

I know many of you are probably wondering about everything that happened with Zachary, and I promise, I do want to tell it... The fact is, it is a very long story and I want to be able to get it all down at one time and I'm finding it hard to find time to do it...

Actually, I had sat down on Friday to do it and had gotten half way through the story, when I accidently hit a wrong button on this lap top (darn thing!) and it totally erased the whole entry.  So, of course, I was ticked off and just gave up.  I will do the whole Zachary Hospital Story at some time really soon... I want to and I need to... I just gotta find the time :)

Okay, so, obviously, things here have been much better than previous.  I swear, I have a totally different baby on my hands.  He wants to be held all the time - which I don't blame him because he was in he hospital for many days without being held- and the little guy sleeps little and eats a whole LOT!!  He is so alert and moves around constantly.  He is actually holding his head up pretty well and coo's.  And I know many people might not believe this, because you may think he is too young, but he is smiling... Yep, he is!

Actually, he gave us his first real smile in the hospital.  I swear, it wasn't gas!  He actually smiled at one of his favorite nurses, Nancy (who also took a liking to him, bringing him a Bunny for Easter) a few days before we were to head home... Seeing that just brought tears to my eyes... But his hospital stay is for another story and another time...

Right now, Zachary is wanting to eat around every 2.5 to 3 hours.  And at every feeding he is eating anywhere from 3.5 oz to 5oz!!!  Can you believe this?  He is only going to be 6 weeks old on Tuesday and he is chowing down!  Yes, I did have to give up on breastfeeding, which I totally feel guilty about, but the Little Man wasn't getting enough!!

In fact, I had fed him for about 25 mins on the breast and then an hour later, he was so hungry that he downed 4oz of formula!  So, I new thatit was going to be hard and because he lost so much weight in the hospital, that it was probably better to get more calories via formula than me try to keep up and keep starving him :)

Miss Rowan is doing really well.  She really missed us and now doesn't want to be left alone.  She asks you where you are going, even if it is just to the bathroom or out the front door to take the trash out.

She was spoiled when we got home... Wednesday morning, Derek got up bright and early and went and bought her a H2 (Hummer) Power Wheels.  She loves it and calls it her "Zoom Zoom".  Of course on the first night home, she slept with us in the bed... But now she is back to sleeping on her couch... lol. 

Hopefully sometime by the end of next week she'll be in her own room.  We are getting both kids' bedrooms laid with hardwood (like the rest of our house) and then we'll work on her sleeping in there...

Also, as of April 9th, we'll have two new room mates.  Lol.  My parents just recently sold their home and the new house that they are buying hasn't been built yet, so, they'll be living with us for a few months.  They are using our den as their bedroom... It will be nice to have them here... It will make keeping an eye on Zachary a whole lot easier too...

We go Wednesday for his first Cardiologist (sp?) check up.  LOL.  We haven't even been out of the hospital for a week and are already having to go back to Sacramento for a check up... Oh well.  It is for the best... And we are seeing the best up there!

Speaking of going up there, we got Zachary's bill (hehe... his bill... lol) for his Mediflight (helicopter trip) from Modesto to Sacramento and it is close to $13,000!!!  All I can say is THANK GOODNESS FOR INSURANCE!!

Derek and I are surviving... Sleep is something that I'm taking for granted before I go back to work.  I'm planning on going back the first week of May instead of the second week... And Derek is going back April 9th.  He doesn't have anymore time off... And I'm just feeling the need of having to do something and get out!!  I think at first I'll be going back for 3 days a week and then slowly go back to my normal 4 days...

Oh yeah, we are putting Rowan on a waiting list for pre-school!  She can't wait to get in.  It is at a local Christian school and she'll be going 3 days a week, 4 hours at a time and it will cost us $246 a month.  I don't think that is too much, but I haven't done too much in the looking into prices thing... But really, you can't put a price on education... I mean, I guess you could, but you get the idea *hehe*

Well, I have plenty of journal reading to catch up on.  I hope that I'll be able to get to Zachary's story sometime in the next few days... I just gotta make sure my Hubby is here for about an hour so I can do it!!

Thank you to everyone again... All your kind words, thoughts and prayers truly means a lot to us...

HUGS and KISSES

 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure know about those hospital bills...yuck.. when my son was 6 weeks old, was rushed to the E.R. with a heart rate of over 300...was in the hospital for over a week for testing, and medication, etc.. He eventually was diagnosed with Wolf Parkinson White Syndrome..very scary time. We wound up with a bill of several thousand dollars because it turned out that while the hospital took my husband's insurance, the pediatric cardiologists who treated him did not. Very frustrating until we got it straightened out. Best of luck, hope you all get some much needed rest.

Robyn :)

Anonymous said...

WoW.......thats Alot!!!!! But all worth it in the end.  So glad things are going well and zach is back home!  Ann

Anonymous said...

**hugs and kisses** to Zach....

Gracie was smiling at a month old... I know they were smiles, too :)  I also fed her both ways, due to the c-section and morphine-I couldn't breastfeed her until the meds were out of my system.  Then I wasn't making enough for her, so she got bottles through the night, and both during the day (nurse first, then bottle).

I'm sure Rowan is a little insecure right now, too.  Few weeks and she'll be back to her old self.  Yippee for pre-school!  Gracie loves going.  I about freaked when I saw how much you pay, but then I realized you do live in CA  :)  (I pay $74 for the same amount of time~but I'm in the midwest-and it's also a Christian school).

I'm sure having your parents around will help out tremendously :)  Then you'll have a little spare time to share Zachary's Hospital Tale ;)  Kidding, do it when you can, Love.....

Good luck with the trip to the doc Wed. (and yes, its spelled right).  Guess Zach can always say he rode on a helicopter when he brags to his friends later in life :)

Glad life is falling back into its proper place, Jennifer.....

Cat

Anonymous said...

Jen and Family~

Glad to hear that little Zachary is doing better! Glad to have you back!

~Jenn and Derek~

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Zachary and Rowen are both doing so well!  Sounds like mommy and daddy are hanging in there as well.  We've missed you so much, Jennifer!  I've thought of you and little Zach everyday.  

Glad you're back!

Love,
b

Anonymous said...

WOW..Sounds like he is doing great and eager to gain that weight back!! I'm sure it was rought o give up on the breastfeeding, but I know that you are doing it for the best for him right now...I'm glad to hear Ro did ok afterwards and is back on her couch..;)

Anonymous said...

Zachary sounds like he is doing so good!  Don't worry about having to give up on breastfeeding. He obviously needed more nourishment and it would have driven both of you nuts having to feed him/and be fed every hour or so!  And, OF COURSE he smiled!  I don't believe that babies don't smile before a certain age and that it's just gas, they can and do!  :)  Rowan sounds like my kids and I didn't even leave them to stay in a hospital for almost an entire month!  I can't go pee without them wondering where I am going!  LOL!  That is a great price for preschool by the way.  The average around here at least is $80 per week for 3 days a week from 9-12:00.  She will LOVE Preschool!  Although I am not sending Emma, my first child NOT going to Preschool.  YIKES!  I'm so glad you have you all back and to wake up to find an entry from you!  Hope you have a good day today my friend!
Hugs and lots of love,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update...i have been so worried about your little guy...so its really great news to hear he is doing so well....glad to hear that rowan is doing well also...u have a great family...and many people online who care about u...have a wonderful monday!

linda
http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LifewithLinny
http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LinnysLuciousLickings

Anonymous said...

Awww Pickle ((((BIG HUGS))))!!!!!!

Sorry about the breast feeding sweetie, next time, okay? :o *wink wink*

Little man will be a pudgy little man with all that gobbling down, WooHoo Zack!!! you've made aunt barbie a very happy camper, i'm soooo proud!!!

Jennifer, tell the folks Major Congrats on the sale and purchase of their homes. i know how much you love and need them; it will be soooo nice to have them for an extended visit. maybe it will yeild you guys a room of your own in the new place.*wink* <hint hint> hehehe. tell rowan i'm jealous of her zoom zoom IIIII WANNNNT ONEEEEE!!!! weeee................

God Speed, I'm so happy you're home. Good Luck in Sacramento...

I love you, Barbie @~>~~~

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you are home and he is doing ok! As for the BFing, every little bit helps his physical and mental development as well as his immune system. You could always pump and give him the breast milk before the formula. Enjoy the time with your family!

Anonymous said...

I'M SO GLAD YOUR BACK AND I HOPE ZACHARY'S PROBLEM ISN'T LIFE THREATENING ANYMORE.

Anonymous said...

Glad u updated...been wondering about you all...so glad Zack is feelin better and eatin really well...thats great....and even smiling...how adorable!!  I can imagine Rowan not wanting u guys out of her sight...hehe....she missed ya'll bunches i'm sure....get lots of rest this month before having to go back to work.... Hugss ~Terri~

Anonymous said...

You're all in my prayers and thoughts. Keep in mind breast milk has FAR more healthy fat than formula, and antibodies that formula doesn't have. He'll get all he needs from you momma! :)
Thank you for keeping all us updated.

God Bless
Christy
http://journals.aol.com/my3gifts/MyWeightLossJourney/

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that things are getting better for all of you!
I think that preschool will be great for Rowan. She will love it, all the kids her age to play with, and a christian daycare on top of that....you can't beat it. I don't think that 246.00 is really bad either.
hugs,
Kathi

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear Zachary is doing much better.  Bless his heart!  I also hope that his cardiologist appointment goes well.  

I bet Rowan did miss you guys while you were gone.  Poor thing.  It'll be nice having your parents stay with you while their house is being built.  Maybe you can get a little break.

Luv~Heather

Anonymous said...

Thank God Zachary is doing much better. Many blessings for him.
Elisa

Anonymous said...

OMgosh- new baby and parents moving in!  Sounds like a good time to set up a weekly escape plan!  But I bet your parents will be great with the kids and you will end up with more free time.  Then when you get used to that they will be moving into their new home and you won't want them to go! LoL!  Hardwood floors sound lovely!  So glad you are home and Zach is doing well!  That is always wonderful when they give that first smile!
Hugs,
Lisa