Thursday, April 7, 2005

~Some of Zach's Story~

I thought that I would try to put down here what happened with Zach while both my children are taking naps...

I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get on here... But I know it will probably be separated into a couple (if not more!) entries.

So, I don't know if many of you remember, but for a while, I was mentioning that Zach was sleeping a lot, not eating, breathing really hard and just wasn't himself.  We did take him to the doctor once for it, and because he was having enough wet diapers and taking in some food, the doctor said we shouldn't be worried.

In fact, a day or so later, he bounced back out of the sleeping long periods and eating a little bit to being awake more and pounding food...

Then comes March 15th.  That evening, I noticed Zach wasn't all into the eating thing again.  I didn't think much of it, because he wasn't sleeping long periods or anything.

Well, on Wednesday, March 16th, Zach wasn't himself at all.  He was sleeping even longer, not wanting to eat and was cranky.

That afternoon, after he ate, he vomitted up everything that he took in.  He proceeded to vomit each and every time I fed him from then on too.  Also, he was becoming harder to wake up and his breathing was becoming labored.

So, on Thursday, March 17th, I called his doctor's office and asked to be seen.  We were able to get in at 10am... At the doctors office, she listened to my concerns and because I had pyloric stenosis as a child (it is where the muscle that connects from the stomach to the intestines grows too fast and becomes larger, then closes off) she wanted to get him an ultra sound to rule that out.

She didn't seem to interested in the fact that his breathing was "weird" and that he was sleeping long periods... I had a feeling that something was wrong, but I wasn't able to get that point across to her.

At 215pm, we went for his ultra sound.  It was negative for pyloric stenosis, but Zachary was becoming increasingly worse... Not eating at this point since 730am and just crying a lot...

Around 5pm, Derek left the house to go take something to his friends house.  I had this horrible feeling that Zachary wasn't doing well.  He wasn't reacting to loud noises and his body was clammy.  So, I called my parents to have them come over to look at him.

I wanted to make sure that it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me... I new something was wrong and I wanted to be reasured I wasn't going crazy!

Right when my parents walked in, my dad took one look at Zach and said, "this baby needs to be at the hospital now".  So, I questioned him and asked if I should call 911.  When he said yes, I broke down.  I couldn't do it...

Thankfully, my mom called.  Zachary at this point was breathing so hard that I don't think he was actually getting much air in.  His color was this white pasty color and his lips were purple.

Derek still wasn't home at this point, so I called him and said that we were having an ambulance come and take Zach to the hospital.

When the ambulance got to us, they came with a bunch of questions too.  Lol.  I had the hardest time talking to them just because I was so frazzled!

They started to asses Zachary and I heard one of them say that his heart rate was 250 beats per minute.  At that point, I turned to my mom and said, "That isn't good.  That isn't good at all."

At that point, they start to move faster.  They put oxygen on Zach (his Oxygen level in his body was VERY VERY low) and they start to put him in the ambulance.  Thankfully Derek finally showed up and he jumped in the rig with them... I wanted him to ride with Zach, because I sure in the hell couldn't have!

My mom and I left my dad and Rowan at the house and followed (as best as we could) the ambulance to the hospital.

At the hospital, we were met by one of their case workers.  I guess when there is a serious case, they assign people to the families to help them out.  Get them information they may need or just a cup of coffee.

At that point, she told us that a nurse would be in in a momment.

When the charge nurse finally came in, she gave us the low-down on Zachary.  His body temperature was 91 degrees, his blood sugar level was 21 and his oxygen was so low that they couldn't even get a reading... Plus him being so cold was effecting that too.

So, she told us that they had placed an IV in his leg between the two bones, were going to paralyze him to put him on the respirator and try to figure out what was going on with him.

We were at the hospital from 530-930pm.  I'm not exactly sure the order now that everything happened, because truly, I wasn't in my right mind and sooo much stuff has happened since then.

Basically, the doctor finally came in and told us that our baby "is very very sick" and they were thinking that he had some blood disease, metobolic disease or some kind of infection.

He also mentioned that they were looking into shipping him off to another hospital.  They were just trying to stablize him enough to ship him out.  His body temp had risen to 94 degrees and he had no idea what they/we were looking at with Zach.

Around that time, we were able to go in and see Zachary.  He looked horrible... Sad to say, but it was true.  His color hadn't changed and now he was hooked up to all kinds of wires, monitors and tubes.

At 915pm, we were able to go back again and watch as they transfered him to all the Medi-flight equipment.  At that time, we heard the flight nurse ask, "is he still tacky" and was responded by another nurse saying, "yes, 250".

We didn't really know what that ment at that point, but we figured out later that his heart beat was around 250pm. 

930pm rolled around and we walked out to the helio pad where they were loading Zachary onto the helicopter.  We were able to kiss him good-bye and watch them take off... Seeing my three week old son being put onto a helicopter to be flown off to a far off hospital was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

After they took off, my mom, Derek and I headed back to our houses to get some changes of clothes and then finally head off to the hospital, Sutter Memorial Childrens Center in Sacramento.

Derek's parents also went up to the hospital with us.  It seemed forever driving up there.  It is only about an hour and a half trip... But it was taking FOREVER.  Sometime during the drive up there, we received a call from the flight nurse.  He told us that Zach's heartbeat never changed through out the flight staying at and around 250bpm and his temperature had stayed the same, now at 96 degrees.

Finally, we arrived at the hospital around 11pm.  We found our way to the sixth floor and somehow ran into a nurse that was actually helping with Zach.

She showed us to a room to wait for the doctor.  Waiting was the game for the night... Seriously... And boy, is waiting something really hard to do.

Sometime soon, we met with Dr. Falco (soon to become Derek's HERO).  Let me tell you, this man is awesome.  He came straight out and said that our son was very sick.  They new what the problem was and they were working to correct it.

Dr. Falco informed us that Zachary has SVT - supraventricular tachycardia- and they were working to correct it.  He told us that they had given him some baseline heart medications, but they weren't stopping the SVT, not even with shocking him!

Yes, you heard me right.  They were shocking my Little Man's heart... A few Many Many Many times!!!

He also told us that Zachary's PH level was really low.  He explained to us that a normal PH level was around 7.35-7.45 and that a deadly PH level was 7.1.

Zachary's PH level was 6.7... My Little Man had been dying... In fact, if he hadn't gotten to the doctors when he did, he probably would have been worse off, if not the unmentionable!!

Okay... I'm sorry to have to leave this entry at this, but both my kids are up and I'm having to get them lunch.

I'll try to finish this story with another entry later tonight, if not tomorrow!!  I'm also off to get my hair done today... Woo Hoo.

::HUGS::

 

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My God......that's the most horrible story :(
I cannot even imagine having to go thru something like that with my son.  You are such a strong person, I would have broken down!  I'm so happy that he is doing better now, thank God!
Love,
Mandy

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow...Just this much had me in tears...I couldn't imagine how much of a wreck you were...Especially weeing him go off on the helicopter..How awful...Cant wait to hear the rest of it!!

Anonymous said...

OMG. A mothers intuition is stronger than anything else in this world.  Thank goodness you reacted to it.  Knowing when your child is not "right" is one of the things that God has blessed us mothers with.  Thank goodness everything is on the right track.  I prayed for your family when this all came about and continue to pray for your family and your precious baby boys recovery.

Shelli

Anonymous said...

bless your heart girlfriend..Yesblood ph is very important..when the ph gets off is starts effecting the organs...Yes you could of lost him but like a great mom you listened to your gut....You saved your baby's life...That is a story zach will live to tell for al long time
Donna In TEXAS

Anonymous said...

OMG...that is so horrible...I probably would have crumbled...but at least  they have it under control...finally!!..christie

Anonymous said...

Not much really scares me in the NICU as a nurse but SVTs in a baby freaks me out, especially when they don't respond to standard treatments.
{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}
thank goodness Zachary is well with the meds he is on now and home where he belongs.
Laura

Anonymous said...

Oh (((Jen))) Just reading this much has me in total tears. So many of us have pretty much followed you through your pregnancy and soooo many prayers and Blessings were sent up for all of you. I'm so glad that your Lil' Man made it through this awful ordeal. I can't imagine how you all stayed so strong.... thank goodness he had God and Dr. Falco looking after him.
Hugs & Blessings my friend,
~Angel

Anonymous said...

It is hard to even think of the worry and torment you must have been thru.
I can't believe your dr didn't take it more serious when you told her about the breathing.  Your little man must have a guardian angel..he is so lucky you got him the help he needed in time.
I am so happy he is home and doing so well.  Send us a picture if you get time.
I would love to see him..
God Bless...

Anonymous said...

I could not imagine going through what you have...just reading this story really touched my heart! I am so glad that to hear that he is doing better! You are so welcome for those sites...I hope they can help you out! I will keep looking for your next entry!

~Kristin
http://journals.aol.om/bkuzimthemommy/Bkuzimthemommy/

Anonymous said...

OMG wow...i am so sorry u all had to go through all of this ~thank God you called 911 when you did....i can't even imagine how you felt....((((Jenn))))
~Terri~

Anonymous said...

I just found your journal about 2 or 3 months ago.  I've glanced through the older entries but have read all of the most recent.  My heart goes out to you and your family.  I too would like to see some recent photos when you have a chance.  God Bless you all!  Barb

Anonymous said...

OMG!  I am so glad you are writing this, but man, I can feel your anxiety and pain so much!  As a Mother reading this entry just makes my heart go crazy reliving it wth you.  I just want to hug that little one of yours knowing all he went through!
Hugs and love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an ordeal.... poor Zach and poor you....  that had to be horrible waiting for news...

So glad you listened to your motherly instincts!! You saved your little baby boy's life it sounds to me...

I had no idea how close he came to not being here anymore... makes me a true believer of the power of prayer, too.  I was already a believer in instincts :)

I even feel your anguish and worry in your words now.  I'll keep praying that this is all behind you guys now....

Cat

Anonymous said...

OK, 1st let me wipe my tears................I thought and prayed for each of you daily!  I couldn't imagine being in your shoes.  I was glad to hear your "little man" is doing better :)   I wish you and your family much love, happiness and peace!  Hugs, Jeannette  

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness... I am so glad the little man is ok now... I can't wait to hear the rest of the story.My little brother and little sister have congenital heat defects (sister has Tetrology of Fallot, brother has Truncus Arteriosis) and they are both doing quite well, but I remember how scared my parents were at the time, and I am so sorry that you had to go through that... a good doctor can make all the difference and I am so glad you got one... My family remembers you all in our prayers...

http://journals.aol.com/daneykakes/AnadsJournal

Anonymous said...

Talk about being on the edge of the seat...I'm going to keep praying really hard, and looking forward to the entry where all is well. EVERYTHING!

Good luck, and stay well yourself, ok?


Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Dear God...as I was reading this, I kept looking at Autumn to make sure she was breathing and I got chills myself.  I just can't imagine what you've been through.  THANK GOD everything worked out okay and Zachary is doing so well now.  God was watching over your little man.  All this will just make you appreciate him that much more....

Love,
b

Anonymous said...

Yes, I do remember your concerns with Zachary sleeping a lot and not eating.  I got more and more mad as I read this entry because one of the FIRST signs of SVT is sleeping a lot and not eating.  Zach is your second child so it's not like you're new at this whole thing and was just being paranoid.  I know DR's can't catch every little thing, but as a nurse, I also know that DR's slack a lot.

Jennifer, my heart goes out to you and your family.  I can't even fathom what you guys went through!!!  Makes me sick!  I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.  I'm here if you ever need to talk.  

Luv Ya~Heather

Anonymous said...

You poor thing.. I know all too well what it is like to have this happen..though not as dramatic as a helicopter ride. We went for Nicholas' 6 week check up, and his heart rate was over 300..we were sent to the E.R., etc.. it is very very scary. I'm so glad your little man is o.k.!!!

Robyn :)

Anonymous said...

OMG JENN omg I can't imagine the horror you were going through honey.  Just glad he's ok now..  HUGS XOOXOX

Anonymous said...

That poor little dear! God Speed on his recovery.......take care of YOU too! all hell breaks loose when we don't take care of ourselves first,.....I'll be praying for your family!

Anonymous said...

what an ordeal...i jsut wish that doctors would listen to us moms...we usualy do know if there is something wrong with our kids...if they had listened from the start maybe some of this could have been avoided...i am just glad that u found such a great doctor that discovered zachs problem and was able to come to his rescue in time...i hope that u never go back to that ped u went to in the beginning...she sounds like she was very stupid and unwilling to listen to u at all...i will continue to keep u all in my thoughts and prayers...and will look forward to reading the next events that happened...many (((((((((((hugs to u all..)))))))))))

linda
http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LifewithLinny
http://journals.aol.com/lindainspokane/LinnysLuciousLickings

Anonymous said...

Jenn~

OMG I can't believe that the Dr's weren't listening to you! My heart goes out to you and your family.  I will continue to pray for Zach's speedy recovery!

~Jenn~
http://journals.aol.com/icewitch96/JennsWorld

Anonymous said...

This is such a sad thing, and I am so glad that you were able to get him help in time. I also am glad that the hospital that he was in was smart enough to know that they needed to transfer him.
hugs,
kathi