Tuesday, May 3, 2005

~Police Officer Memorial~

                                               FallenOfficer.bmp

In the month of May, you will find many counties and cities holding Police Officer Memorials.

Today, Derek and part of his department will be attending a Police Officer Memorial at Lakewood Cemetery in Hughson, Ca.  This is a very important, somber day for these officers because of the fact that they just lost one of their own, only in January.

                              FuneralPicofGuys.bmp

The above picture was provided from The Modesto Bee and was taken at Sgt. Howard Stevenson's funeral on January 18th.

May is also when Washington, D.C. holds Police Week.  May 15th is National Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week that May 15th falls into usually holds different events for people to see.

Derek has always wanted to visit and attend the Annual Blue Mass that is held at St. Patrick's Catholic Church.  I'm thinking that maybe next year, I'll try to suprise him and get us out there. 

It would be wonderful to see andI'm sure, very moving.  Hundreds upon hundreds of officers in their dress uniforms.... Seeing something like that doesn'thappen every day.

Just thinking about that gives me shivers and goose-bumps.  It also reminds me of Howie's funeral, and how much he is missed by the guys.

So, this week, I'm asking you to think of all the men and women that put their lives on the line to keep our streets safe.  They are human, just like you and I.  They have feelings, thoughts and families. 

It really does make their day to have someone say "Thank You" to them and tell them how much they are appreciated... Believe me, I know.  I hear all about it from Derek... :)

Have a great day all...
I'll be back later with another entry...

::HUGS::
~Pickle~

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I most certainly will keep all the officers and their families, in my thoughts and prayers. They are true heros and deserve our prayers & blessings everyday...
Hugs,
~Angel

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan or the men and women who serve society to keep us safe, whether here at home, or elsewhere....

Thanks for sharing this so we may all appreciate the efforts these people make for our safety.  It is definitely one of those jobs that takes a certain type of person to perform well.

Though many are called, the chosen are few~they are the good guys who stand up to their own when they've done wrong.  That takes more might than chasing criminals, I'd imagine....

So, thank you, Derek and your brothers and sisters in blue, for putting it all on the line on a daily basis.  As much as we hope to never need your services, I'm just glad knowing if we do~there are people like you who will be there  :)

I think a surprise trip would be so awesome  :)

Cat

Anonymous said...

I've been to the National Law Enforcement memorial in DC. It's an amazing, and humbling, site to see the names of all the fallen officers on the memorial.

Denielle
http://journals.aol.com/deniden/thisisme

Anonymous said...

I am not sure that I could handle going to see that if it was around here. It would be a very personal thing to me. I worry about Will constantly and all the others that I am close to, and seeing that memorial might make me think too much.
hugs,
Kathi

Anonymous said...

Police officers get so little respect, but deserve so much.  Thank you, Pickles hubby!!  <grin>

Love,
b

Anonymous said...

I think that memorial would be wonderful to see!!  I will continue to keep all the officers in my thoughts ;)

Luv~Heather