Wednesday, September 8, 2004

Chairs and Tables... Oh My!

Has any one noticed that things are becoming more and more expensive lately?  I mean, why is it that a gallon of milk costs more than a gallon of gas?  And a since when does a pound of hamburger cost $6??  Um, what in the world? 

I've mentioned before that I'm throwing a Bridal Shower for my friend... I am the Maid Of Honor... It is my duty.  So, today, I called the local party rental store to get some prices.

Boy, did they blow my mind!

First, I asked if there was a minimum for delivery.  She told me that there wasn't a minimum of rentals, just a fee... A fee of $75!!!  Uh, okay.  Forget that, I'll just use the truck.  It is there for that reason, right?

So, I go on to ask how much chairs would be.  She gives me the list of chair... Starting from $1.20 to $8! Oh my.  All I want are the plastic white ones... The cheapest please.  So, that is 30 chairs, for $1.20 each.  Lets do the math.  Just to rent the chairs, it is going to be a good $36.

Next was the tables.  I'm going to have about 30 people at the party, so I want the tables to fit 10-12 people at each.  The tables that I want are $11.95 each.  Ok, more math.  3 tables, at $11.95 is another $36. 

So, I'm going to fork over around $72 for some table and chairs.  Don't even ask me about stupid table cloths.  They want $13 for one darn piece of linen!  No thanks.  I'll find something else that could work.  Not going to shell out all of my money thank you.

Plus, I still have to pay for all the food and drinks.  Thank God her mom has told me she will help me pay for either the food or drinks.  So, depending on how much I pay for either one, I'll be getting some money back...

Oh, did I also mention that I am throwing the bachelorette party too??? ALONE.  I did ask for people to bring $20 for some 'entertainment' on the invite... but we'll see how many people do that!

Anywho... Enough of my grumbling.

The hubby and Rowan were home yesterday.  They cleaned house and folded laundry.  So that was a plus on my board.  He also took the Princess shopping and bought her a few new things.  Mr. Potato Head and Spidy-man are some new additions to her toy box... LOL.  Welcome home... Hope you get played with more than twice!

Honey is also doing early Christmas shopping.  I'm glad he has an idea of what he wants to get me... Because I have NO IDEA on what I will be getting him.  He wants a Lazy-Boy recliner... But if I were to get him that, that is the only present he'd get!  LOL.

Well, I gotta go and get some stuff done.  I'm really just wanting to leave.  I don't have much to do and would rather be napping at home.  Plus, I can't wait for dinner... Yummy Steak and potatos!  Woo Hoo.

TTFN All

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep i've sure noticed! Shopping for 3 kids ages 6 and under....OMG! It's outrageous!

It's an honor to be Maid Of Honor (no pun intended) but it can get quite expensive! Thank goodness the brides mom offered to help, every little bit counts,especially when your in charge of the party too! I'm sure both will turn out beautifully :)
I can relate to the toy thing with with princess rowan! My boys are the same way and carly is quickly adding to her toy box as weel! Spoiled little turds :::giggle:::

Hugs,
~Angel

Anonymous said...

good lord, that is expensive! I would defiantly be asking for some help with the food and drinks? the chick doesn't have any bridesmaids that could pitch in??

hugs,
kathi

Anonymous said...

Man, that's alot of dough for a party. I think you could get creative with some other stuff, as far as table covers, ect. For some reason I can't think of any examples right now...

Have a great night!

~Heather

Anonymous said...

OH my goodness.. prices these days are outrageous... I just throw a baby shower about 5 months ago and the local vfw allowed me to rent their tables and chairs for 25.00. They considered it the donation to their hall... As far as the food.. why couldnt everyone in the bridal party make something... Like dips, veggies, side dishes etc. and then just cater the main dish.... That might help save you some money. And as far as the tablecloths and other decorations go.... I would check party city or even michales or walmart.. I know sounds tacky but sometimes you can get lucky.. good luck and keep us all posted....

Catie
http://journals.aol.com/chcgogurl25/MyLife

Anonymous said...

Those rental places are outrageous!  I can't believe you are throwing the parties yourself with no help from anyone else in the wedding party!  That just seems totally unfair.  And, as far as the shower goes, I would make it a potluck shower and have everyone bring their favorite dish.  That just seems like way too much work for you.  You should have played the "Oh, I am pregnant and haven't been feeling well" card for all it's worth with this one!  If you have any Job Lots near you, go there for the table cloths.  Even if they don't have any, buy a sheet instead, it may end up being cheaper then renting one, and later on you can use it as a tent for Rowan to play in!  
Hugs and love, Lisa
P.S.:  You my dear are a Matron of Honor, not a Maid of Honor, unless of course, you aren't married.  Always hated the "Matron of Honor" title though, made me feel like I was 90 years old!  :)