Saturday, September 11, 2004

Remembering 9/11

I remember getting up that morning, dreading going to work.  I was working at a local Raley's and they had me coming in at the opening shift... 7am.  I was pregnant with Rowan, about 5 months along and I was still dealing with some morning sickness and I was dreading waking up.

As I was getting ready that morning in my mom and dad's room (Hubby and I were living there at the time), something on the TV caught my attention.  A plane had flown into one of the Twin Towers in New York.  It was still pretty early and they hadn't really known what was going on... Was it an accident or was it terrorism?

I yelled to mom my about what was going on and we sat on her bed in disbelief.  Then, the second plane hit the other tower.  We knew right then that the first plane wasn't an accident... Someone was doing this on purpose.

I went upstairs and woke the hubby up... He had only been home for a few hours from work and was asleep... I mentioned something about both towers being hit in New York and one of the first things out of his mind was "Osama something"... He couldn't remember his name, but he knew that one of his buddies in the FBI had been tracking this guy for a while... It is weird that he just knew...

When I left for my 7 minute car drive to work, I switched my FM radio station off and over to one of the AM stations from the Bay Area.  I wanted news and now.  The whole way to work, I listened to this broadcast... I even remember one of the gentlemen on the radio saying how scared his was, because his daughter worked in the Pentagon... And it just had been hit (he did hear from his daughter, she was alright).

The whole day at work, we listened to the radio.  Someone at the Raley's corporate office shut off the normal radio and switched it to the news so we could find out what was going on.  When customers would come in, we'd ask them if there was any more news... That day was a slow day... The whole nation had come to a complete hault.

I just remember taking a customers groceries out to their car, feeling Rowan bouncing around in my stomach and me wondering, "Is this world safe enough for us to bring a baby into?"  It was a sad day... Something I will never forget.

I just want to thank everyone who gave their life to try to save others and the family's who lost their loved ones... And our American Heros (be them soldiers, firefighters and police)... Who give their lives for us daily!

9/11 will never be forgotten....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that we will ever forget where we were or what we were doing that day...

Hug,
Kathi